French banks are increasing their mortgage application fees and customer monthly maintenance charges
When applying for a mortgage, a French lender will charge you a one-time fee. The amount will vary depending on the mortgage amount and the complexity of the file. You can expect to pay from 500 EUR up to 3 500 EUR in some cases and the fee is not financed by the lender.
With the current low rates, mortgage application fees are rising and they are not the only costs associated to your project of acquisition.
Here is a list of other fees associated with the opening of a French bank account.
- French banks charge their customers for maintaining a basic bank account. This monthly charge is known as “frais de tenue de compte”. At around 9 EUR monthly, it can be twice as much with some French banks.
- Having a debit card with your current account is not free. Depending on the conditions (Maximum transaction amount, cash withdraw amount), you will pay an additional charge with your monthly maintenance charge.
- Using your French debit card abroad isn’t free outside the Eurozone. You can expect additional charges.
- Regular transfers are free of charge but some banks will impose a charge for one-off transfers and it can be pricey (5 to 7 EUR per one-off transfer).
- You will also pay for requesting printed bank statements, a new cheque book (If you still want to write cheques in 2021!) and when requested a service upgrade.
We can help you define your borrowing capacity with an agreement in principle from one of our financial partners while negotiating the additional costs associated to your project.
Current mortgage rates for March 2021
|Fixed rate(1)||Term||Monthly repayment
for 10 000€ borrowed
|1.10%||10 years / 120 months||88.04€|
|1.20%||15 years / 180 months||60.73€|
|1.40%||20 years / 240 months||47.80€|
|2.15%||25 years / 300 months||43.12€|
(1) The indicated rates are given for information purposes and are based on the latest bank rates of one or more of our partners. The rates in the table above do not include the ancillary cost as notary fees, guarantees, insurance and intermediation.
Submit your request for information
With no commitment on your part, submit your detailed request in order to obtain the best financial solution for your project. Our French mortgage specialists will contact you within 24 hours.